Monday, April 23, 2007

A successful turkey hunt

What a morning I had yesterday while hunting ! I wish it could have been taped,but there was no way I could have because I had turkeys fly down right onto my lap.

My brother in-law had seen them fly down from their roost Saturday morning so yesterday we set out at 4:45am to ambush them.He brought his jon boat down so we could cross my creek and we snuck up along a grass open hill facing the west and we put our backs up against a couple trees and waited.Rick was about 10 yards below me and it was my turn at first shot this year and the toms were gobbling right at day break.All of a sudden I see a small black bird come flying from across the tree tops right at Rick and me then flips out his big wings and lands 15 yards infront of us A BIG TOM ! then one by one about 12 to 15 turkeys do the same thing WOW ! what a sight this is something you see on tv !

Needless to say we can't move or twitch a muscle or they would be gone,turkeys have great eye sight and will bolt on out at the slightest movement.To make this shorter I watched 4 toms chase off some jakes and strut around until I seen the one I wanted and when he turned the right way I shot ! and he was mine ! Rick was trying to get a shot at one but they went the wrong way and couldn't get a shot off.

22lbs
9.50 inch beard
1 inch spurs
I would say a 2 year old bird may be three

Can't see me !
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The beard
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Tucker don't know what to think but "thats a big bird"
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Getting ready for this weekend with some small 20 miles rides and short efforts I was hoping to have some bigger miles in before the race but the weather and work took a sharp turn for the worse,but we'll still give it a good hard try and I do plan on making it all the way. I hate quiting on anything I do !

See YA !

6 comments:

Midz said...

I was beginning to wonder if you REALLY went turkey hinting. That's a damn nice one! Looks like I'll have some good trails to run on Saturday if I want.

Anonymous said...

good luck at the crazy race howie!


jared

Unknown said...

Yummy...smoked turkey kicks ass. Good luck this weekend bro!

Peace

mattonne said...

KICK SOME ASS Howie...

Nice bird!

Doug Morgan said...

You need to wear a feather during your race...gobble gobble!

Mike Howard said...

My brother in-law shot one Tuesday morning ! same set up !

Time to ride !